Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Recent Reviews

Well it may be Wednesday but I'm finally getting around to reading this past weekend's book review sections. Here are a few of the pieces I found interesting:

- In the NYTimes, Jonathan Rosen reviews David Damrosch's The Buried Book: The Loss and Rediscovery of the Great Epic of Gilgamesh. One I hope to get a chance to read soon.

- The Philly Inq's Sandy Bauers reviews Andrew Blechman's Pigeons: The Fascinating Saga of the World's Most Revered and Reviled Bird. My review here. Also, Roger K. Miller reviews Andrew Burstein's The Original Knickerbocker, a biography of Washington Irving. I didn't read this one since I have the book at home to read first, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

- Across the pond, Kathryn Hughes reviews Emily Cockayne's Hubbub: Filth, Stench and Noise in England, a not-for-the-squeamish history of 16th-17th century England. Another one to find, I think.

- In The Times, John Brewer reviews James Walvin's The Trader, the Owner, the Slave: Parallel Lives in the Age of Slavery. Profiles of John Newton, Thomas Thistlewood, and Olaudah Equiano.